Saturday 19 March 2016

Where was God? Loitering Within Lent

Last Monday, whilst waiting for hubbie having a treatment at Russells Hall Hospital, I loitered in the cafe near the entrance. I was warmed by the lady operating the till. She was so kind to the visitors. I hope I've captured this in the poem I've written. Where was God? Operating the till!!


8.30am to 9.30 am - Russells Hall Hospital

It’s a city of busyness
wide corridors
shrink in the rush.

The cafe is busy
serving hot drinks
and breakfast. 

The till operative 
manages the queue.
She’s balancing:

the staff fidget urgent
to pay and go
but visitors

want to tell
their news:
he might be 

coming home
tomorrow;
she’s had

a restless night
still poorly. 
She listens: 

this seems
a regular meeting.
She smiles, slows down

the giving of change 
and receipts
and gives a second

or two of warmth,
as hands touch. 
I’m glad there’s one

in all this busyness, 
who’s making time 
to care.

No comments:

Post a Comment